- Transport of a single ATM cell stream at rates between T1/E1 and T3/E3, taking advantage
of cost-effective bandwidth at sub-T3/E3 rates.
- Provisioning of bandwidth in T1/E1 increments, which lets network planners
increase or decrease bandwidth based on need.
- Bandwidth consolidation across T1/E1 link groups, leading to more efficient use of
- Automatic and transparent adjustment to accommodate added/restored and
deleted/failed T1/E1 links, minimizing provisioning and maintenance.
- Transparent transport of the ATM layer and higher layers, which preserves cell order and
ATM traffic management techniques and makes IMA compatible with the existing ATM